Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Talk Tuesday-The Olympic Race


What do you think of when the Olympics comes to mind? The grits, the glory, the fame? Isn't it awe inspiring to look at an athlete who, in the pursuit of athletic excellence, obtains the highest prize- an Olympic Gold Medal?

Yet, there are two things I often wonder about. The athlete who, after much sacrifice, does not win and the athlete whose Olympic success exceeds their wildest dreams. The crowds go home, life continues, bodies age and the glory or disappointment fades. Then what?

As Christians we press onwards towards the eternal prize.


I enjoy gymnastics and swimming immensely. There is no shortage of excitement in the 2008 Beijing Olympic games. During the 100 meter women's freestyle a swimmer won her qualifying heat at an electrifying time of 53.49 seconds. She triumphantly climbed out of the water only to realize she had been disqualified for, as quoted by the Canadian Press, "..flinching slightly at the start of the two-lap race."

Not only did she not get the medal, she did not even get to compete in the race that mattered the most.

In 2 Corinthians 9:24-27, the apostle Paul states,

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.

Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize."

So, I ask the question, 'Is the race really for the swift?' Please add your comments by clicking on the 'comments' link below. We would love to hear from you.

No comments: