Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Talk Tuesday-What Are The Things That Cause Us to Stumble?

I recently went through the worst trial of my life. I prayed to know of the suffering of Christ and the Lord allowed me to experience physical suffering as I had never known before. I was hospitalized for a few months, during which time I learned about the faithfulness and mercy of God. I witnessed my parents crying out to God night after night, begging God to take away my pain. My husband poured his heart out before the Lord on my behalf. My siblings stood unwaveringly by my side. My Christian family lifted my name up to the Lord, yet the only one truly capable of walking with me through the pain and anguish was Jesus Christ, the Son of the living God.

Each day I was given a choice, to proceed with Him or without Him. Each day we are given the choice, to proceed with Him, or without Him. Our lifestyles reflect our decisions. I was recently sharing with a friend about how deceptive our emotions can be. Emotions can cause us to see things not as they are but as we 'feel' them to be at the moment. Emotions can cause us to walk by sight and not by faith. Committment is a choice and it's follow through is an act of faith.

When I think back to my experience, I am ever aware of how pain attempts to ravage our emotions and distort truth. Pain takes on many forms- the pain of longing, the pain of seemingly unaswered prayer, the pain of loneliness, the pain of depression, the pain of unforgiveness- the list goes on. Jesus wept in the Garden of Gethsemane, yet He obeyed the will of His Father instead of His feelings.

"My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will." Matthew 26:39

I have soberly been thinking on these things and meditating on these scriptures:

"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:21

"Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died and your life is now hidden with Christ in God." Colossians 3:2-3

Brothers and Sisters, what causes Christians to stumble? What tempts us to turn our faces away from God? How can we protect ourselves and stand firm in the faith without conforming to the pattern of this world? How can we get back? What can we do to encourage one another when we fall? Is there anything we do for a sibling who has turned away?

We would love to hear from you. Please share with us by clicking on the comments link below.

3 comments:

In faith said...

It's funny that this is the topic for today....I've been thinking about this and praying about this v. recently. My GF's brother has recently left for the world, and a family member too seems to be 'out there', as evidenced facebook... I think good friends could admonish each other / hold each other accountable and show love and support but not judging too much... For those whom we don't know well though, I think we can only pray consistently for those who have fallen, lifting them up to God and pleading for their lives. But God is good and yes he is a BIG GOD!!! And what we can't even imagine, God has planned out for us already.

Anonymous said...

We live in a sinful world - 'the enemy of our souls is like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour - always plotting how he may separate us from our relationship with our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.
Sometimes our Christian brothers and sistefrs 'fall' prey to the lies so very neatly,attractively and deceptively packaged by the devil.
His modus is always to attack at the point of one's weakness(es).
We need always to remember that we are our brother's keepers therefore,it is our Christian mandate to lift up our bretheren and loved ones before the Lord, at all times(the saved and unsaved).
Prayer moves mountains, barriers; it changes things.
God is a meciful and loving daddy and He hears the cries of our hearts.
Whatever the nature of our circumstances, thought they may seem bleak, we have to hold fast, in 'soak-in' prayer and supplication before the Lord.
HIS ANSWER IS ALWAYS ON TIME!
WHAT A MIGHTY GOD WE SERVE!

Anonymous said...

The Christian walk is not an easy one - it is most challenging walk. When we experience a loved one in pain/agony, in the valley of the shadow of death, and we have been crying out to the Lord, yet things seem to be getting progressively worse, it can be very challenging to pray.
Praise God: 'His strength is perfect when our strength is gone, He'll carry us when we can't carry on.' He carries us until we rise up out of the doldrums to grasp the hand of God and hold onto His promises once more.
It has been my experience when a loved one was quite ill - there were moments when I felt so worn out, so dry, so very helpless. Nevertheless, I knew God was carrying us. I also knew the intercessors were crying out to the Lord on our behalf.
Thank God for His love and mercies and for the gift of intercessors.