Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Talk Tuesday-It Is More Blessed To Give Than To Receive

I met a friend who I had not seen in many years, for coffee. As we were reminiscing, she reminded me of an important lesson from the Lord:

"And remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.' "Acts 20:35

As I listened to my friend speak, I pondered this truth. I am selfish by nature. It is my natural, human inclination to look out for myself first before others. By worldly standards, this is the acceptable norm. We live in what I like to call, the 'i-Culture.' The message Jesus teaches is so contrary to that which the world espouses. I have heard this many times over, 'I must love myself first in order to love others.' I beg to differ. I would reword this, 'In order to love others, I must first receive the love of Christ into my own heart.' That love which came through death and sacrifice of our Lord Jesus Christ, sets us free to love others in a selfless manner. I have met Christians who have given out of their lack, served in their weariness, prayed for others while in the throes of their own pain, loved those who despised them and blessed those who cursed them. This is a testimony to God's wisdom, for when we give that seed is multiplied tenfold.

"Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. " Luke 6:38

Please click on the comments link below to share with us how you have experienced the blessing of giving! May we also challenge you to do something special for someone this week. We look forward to hearing from you.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i don't know if this is what you're talking about? what i have found is that whenever i pray, that i would be a blessing to someone that day, like a listening ear or a shoulder to cry on, God really does use me. i have had complete strangers completely open up to me and really TALK. And I just listen. A couple of times I would even give my testimony of Jesus' work in my life.

kaspagarigan said...

'In order to love others, I must first receive the love of Christ into my own heart.'

In order to receive Christ you must first obey his commandments and one is to love your neighbor.

Mk 12:31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

Without loving others, there is no way Christ will enter into your heart.

There is no question about Christ loving us. God is love but obedient is the key.

Tit 1:16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and to every good work reprobate.

kaspagarigan said...

'In order to love others, I must first receive the love of Christ into my own heart.'

In order to receive Christ you must first obey his commandments and one is to love your neighbor.

Mk 12:31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

Without loving others, there is no way Christ will enter into your heart.

There is no question about Christ loving us. God is love but obedient is the key.

Tit 1:16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and to every good work reprobate.

Natasha said...

@Anonymous, yes, this is exactly what I'm talking about. Imagine how each time you pray for someone, counsel them and encourage them, you are sowing a seed that will one day produce much fruit. In doing so, you are also living out the purposeful Christ-centred life. That must give you joy and peace too.

Thank you for sharing!

Natasha said...

@kaspargarigan, you raise an interesting point.

1 John 4:19-21

19 We love because he first loved us. 20 Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen. 21 And he has given us this command: Anyone who loves God must also love their brother and sister.

Jesus spent so much of His time loving those who didn't yet know how to obey and how to love. He came for the captives, the sinners, the 'sick' and the broken. When I think of the woman caught in adultery, what transformed her life and taught her how to love, was the love, compassion and mercy shown to her by Christ Jesus. It is His love that transforms our fallen and broken hearts-it is His love that enables us to walk in obedience.

Anonymous said...

Your account of 1Jn.4:19-20 is so very spiritually insightful. Thank you for sharing and clarifying on a point we all struggle with - to love our enemies - to love those who despitefully use us.
God bless

Anonymous said...

Man is naturally selfish but that when we surrender our lives to Jesus Christ and receive that amazing and unselfish love given so freely to us, how can we not love unselfishly in return. Thank God for Jesus Christ.