Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas Day-Why JESUS?

"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.
See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ." Colossians 2:6-8

There are many New Age movements and alternate belief systems pulling at the core of who we are as Christians. They are seductive, enticing us to believe in ourselves, in our own ability and inner powers. After all, they argue that if we are made in God's image and likeness, then God is in us and we are gods. They start off with a kernel of truth but then grow into a deceptive lie, with the purpose of redirecting our worship. Yet, we are not left without warnings:

"But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God- having a form of godliness but denying its power." 2 Timothy 3:1-5

I am writing this on December 25th, Christmas day, and I ask myself the question, WHY JESUS?
Then, I am struck with the reality of who I am without Him. Let me be honest, I am unkind, selfish and proud. The list, truly, is endless. Of course, I could compare myself to a notorious criminal and convince myself that I am a 'good person' because I am not as bad as...or I can list all my good deeds and feel great about who I am as a human being. Yet I would be deceiving myself. We are a sinful people. Out of our hearts come sinful thoughts, selfish ambition, pride and many other attributes of darkness that we would just as well ignore. The truth is, JESUS transforms us, mind, soul and spirit. JESUS came because He knows our base nature, that we will fall, that we will repeatedly stand accused by the enemy of our souls, hence His BLOOD on Calvary's cross. Forgiveness and renewal are offered to us and GRACE truly is amazing. The Apostle Paul reminds us:

"For He has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son He loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins." Colossians 1:13-14

"For GOD was pleased to have all His fullness dwell in Him, and through Him to reconcile to Himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through His blood, shed on the cross." Colossians 1:19-29

And remember, JESUS is waiting right there for you, knocking on the door of your heart. Let Him in and He will be the best dinner guest you have ever had.

No comments: