Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Talk Tuesday - GROW - Bible Study

When I first became a Christian I would read devotionals, such as, "The Daily Bread."  Then I began reading the bible passages .  I started with the New Testament and then read the Old Testament.  As I began to grow, I started to attend a bible study group in my church.  It was a little nerve wrecking at first but it was good to be among believers, sharing and growing together.  It is really important to join a good bible study group.  Find one that you feel comfortable with.  If you did not know, we started an online bible study, which is posted every Friday.  You are welcomed to join us but it is important to join a bible group where you actually meet and fellowship with people.

There are many ways to read the Bible, but there is one that helped me a lot. It's by by Anne Graham Lotz, Billy Graham's daughter.  First you read a small passage from the Bible.  Then you ask yourself three questions:

1.  What does the passage say? (list facts)
2.  What does the passage mean? (lessons from the facts)
3.  What does the passage mean to me?

A good explanation of this method can be seen at
http://www.annegrahamlotz.com/resources/video/watch-learning-hear-his-voice-workshop/

Share with us the method you use to read the bible.  When do you read the bible and how often?  The point of this GROW series is to help one another GROW by sharing our experiences and encouraging each other.  And remember to join us on the weekends for the online Bible study.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This helped me a lot. I am a new Christian and I don't understand how to read the bible and be able to take what I learn and apply it. Thank you

Andrew said...

I am happy this post helped you. If you have any questions feel free to post a question or email us at joinus@biblegrouponline.com. We would be happy to help you as you begin to grow in the Lord.

May God Bless You
Andrew