Monday, October 15, 2012

Talk Tuesday-God Is Not A Man That He Should Lie

"God is not man, that He should lie, nor a son of man, that He should change His mind. Does He speak and then not act? Does He promise and not fulfill?" Numbers 23:19

This morning I was reminded of this truth in such a profound way, as I looked back at the most difficult moments of my life and reflected on the promises of God. I began to weep as I realized that God kept each and every single promise He made to me. Each one seemed impossible at the time, and my situation seemed immovable. Yet, by His grace and mercy, I chose to believe and each time, the victory He promised came to pass. In some cases it took years, in others months. I have come to the realization that if you do not persevere through the valley, you will not be able to climb unto the mountaintop. The view from up there is quite stunning. You gain such an appreciation for the wisdom, faithfulness, love and mercy of God.

In Exodus 3, God met with Moses at the burning bush on Mount Horeb and told him that not only would He deliver the Israelites out of Egypt, but that He would take them to 'a land flowing with milk and honey'. During their journey, they stumbled, fell, experienced opposition and became captives of their own doubt...yet God's promises remained true.

Right before crossing the Jordan River into the Promised Land, they faced Balak King of Moab, who feared them greatly for they had just defeated Og King of Bashan and Sihon King of the Amorites. Balak commissioned Balaam son of Beor to curse the Israelites (Numbers 22). God appeared to Balaam on behalf of the children of Israel and forbade him to do anything but pronounce blessings upon His people. When King Balak became frustrated, Balaam could only reply, "God is not man, that He should lie, nor a son of man, that He should change His mind. Does He speak and then not act? Does He promise and not fulfill? I have received a command to bless; He has blessed, and I cannot change it," Numbers 23:20.

God kept His promise to Israel. They entered the Promised Land. He kept His promise to me. He will keep His promise to you. We have to continue to trust Him. Do I still struggle with doubt? Yes. Do I still struggle with fear? Yes. Do I often feel discouraged when I can't see the promise on the horizon? Yes. Yet, God IS NOT a man, that HE should lie. Hold on to Him, cling to the promises in His Word, wait patiently for Him, and remember He has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." Hebrews 13:5

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been walking through the valley lately; unable to see the horizon. Everything around me appears like I've come to the end of the road, and yet deep inside He has given me hope and peace. The more I surrender the more He reminds me that He is God and He does not lie. He is faithful to His promises. Thank you for this timely word.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Be encouraged. This must be God!!

I came in to work. The first email I read every day (before starting work) is the Biblegateway daily verse. Today’s was the famous Psalm 37:4 “Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.” Right after reading it I prayed over the verse at my desk and mouthed the words ‘you (God) do not lie’. Then I closed that email and went to my inbox and found today’s email from BGO!!! Must be God!!!

Be encouraged. As it says of Jesus in Revelation 19:11, Jesus (the one who rode the horse in triumph) was ‘faithful and true’!!

He will be faithful and true in YOUR circumstances. May you see him today in your day and being amazed say with me “Wow. That must be God”!!!!

Farah said...

One of my favourite verses. AMEN to that! God bless you both richly.
Farah

Anonymous said...

What a timely Word! I continue to see His faithfulness as He fulfils every promise He has made to me - in His own way and in His own time. Yes, He is not a man that He should lie, no a son of man that he should change His mind. Whenever He promises He fulfils and whenever He speaks, He acts. Awesome GOD!

Natasha said...

We are truly in AWE of the AWESOME GOD that we serve! LORD, ALL honour and glory to YOU!!!!!!! Thank you all for your comments! May GOD continue to reveal Himself to His people as we journey in the land of the living.

Tash and Drew

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this word. It has blessed me. It is true- God does not lie and every single one of His promises come to pass. He can change situations in a moment. Wait on HIM!