Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Talk Tuesday- The Flame of First Love

"Though you have not seen him, you love Him; and even though you do not see Him now, you believe in Him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls." 1 Peter 1:8-9

I remember when I first became a committed Christian, I said a simple prayer of submission and acknowledgement. I asked Jesus Christ to come into my heart, surrendered the reigns of control to Him, acknowledging the power of His death and resurrection over my life. It was a glorious, glorious time! I said the simplest prayer, at the side of my bed, all alone in the darkness of my bedroom in June 1996. The next day, I woke up to a fountain of living water welling up inside of me, bubbling over. I finally had a peace and purpose that extended far beyond my selfish limitations. That Jesus would die for a sinner like me, and grant me such awesome joy, was truly overwhelming! Everywhere I went, I desired to share this free gift with others. I was 24 yrs. old when this all took place.

As the years rolled by, life began to crowd my fervour. I never lost it, but at times it ebbed and peaked. Five years later, I was engaged to be married to a godly and wonderful man. I was happily going about my preparations when the Word of the Lord jumped out from the pages of the Bible, stirring my heart in places I didn't know needed reawakening.

"...you have left your first love. Remember therefore from where you have fallen: repent and do the first works..." Revelations 2:4

What was your experience like when you first came to know the Lord Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Saviour? Have you ever received the wake up call before? Have you ever become so engrossed in your own plans that you began to neglect your first love? Apathy is subtle and unsettling. As I was admonished by the Holy Spirit, I began to think of the things I did at first. Do you remember what the passion of your first love looked like? Does it look the same today? 2011 is a year I would like to see the Flame of My First Love be fanned into a blazing into a light for His glory. Share your thoughts and experiences with us, by clicking on the comments link below.

4 comments:

Beloved said...

What a beautiful testimony! Thanks for sharing it. It seems that we humans are O, so similar, when it comes to how we come to the Lord and how the journey goes in the months or years following.

I remember how I felt in those first few moments after I had prayed with someone very special in all of our lives (smile) to receive the Lord. I KNEW things would be different. I took great pleasure in destroying my music collection that was one of the things I had held on to that kept me from coming to the Lord (how silly!). (I can't overstate what an idol music and the entire music industry was in my life. And it was mostly the kind of music that grieved the Holy Spirit.)

I began to feel like everything was brand new ... I remember distinctly that grass was definitely somehow looking greener to me. Looking back, I did my very first devotional in my journal and guess what the Scripture was on? 2 Corinthians 5:17... on being a new creation. I see how even in those early days, God was guiding every bit of my spiritual growth ... what an appropriate passage I "happened" to read and write study notes about.

Even better than that for me was experiencing the presence of God the first time about three months later. That still keeps me going even today... knowing that God knows me by name and my change of heart and transformation in thinking was NOT my imagination.

In those early days I loved to read the Word for hours into the night, and I thankfully was guided early on to music by people like Israel Houghton and New Breed, Fred Hammond and Karen Clark-Sheard. I still love listening to them. I also loved listening to radio programs like Bible Answer Man and Pastor Raul Ries from Somebody Loves You. What fantastic "meat" I was fed in those early days!

As the years have passed I am still amazed at the change in life before and after but as Tash's testimony described the love does ebb and flow. I am always thankful to know that this is the battle most if not all of us as believers face ... keeping that flame as hot as it was when we first loved the Lord. Thankfully, He Himself helps us along and reminds us of what we need to do!

Over the last three days or so I have been thinking about Hebrews 4:15-16 ... which is a good reminder for us all. The entire passage is powerful but here are the verses which can most encourage us towards fanning that flame:

Hebrews 4:14-16, NIV
Jesus the Great High Priest
14 Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven,[a] Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. 15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. 16 Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

Thank You, Lord, that every moment is a new moment that we can begin afresh with You.

Anonymous said...

Twenty-two years ago, I opened my life to my living Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ and like you I have felt my fervour crowded by life over the years - I khave had several experiences of that ebb and flow in my walk. I thank God however, that today, 2011, my fervour has increased - much like the 'Flame of First Love" that I experienced 22 yrs ago. Praise God!
Thank you for sharing such an inspiring and touching testimony Natasha. May God continue to reveal Himself to both you and Andrew in ways that will have you both shouting and testifying; "Alleluia! Jesus is alive!"

Anonymous said...

Thank you Beloved for your encouragement outlined in Hebrews 4:14-16. What tears of joy and thanksgiving welled up within me.
God bless you. I am now smiling as I reminisce at how loving God is. Thanks again.

Andrew said...

Actually God spoke to me from that same passage when I was in Canada and Tash was in Trinidad. Sometimes we equate religious activity as having a good relationship with Jesus. God spoke to my heart about that. I was involved in so much ministry that I had hardly any time to spend with Him. So I stopped all ministry for a while and just spent time with Him. It was amazing.

I would like to say that I have a perfect relationship with Jesus now but the cares of life started to affect me over the last few years. I had to find my way back to the Bible last year. God is good, He never lets us go. Reading the Bible in a year is helping me to be more disciplined with the time I spend with Him.

If you are in a dry period with God hold on and stick with Him. He will never disappoint you.

Romans 8:28
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Thanks Pastor Sam for the memory verse of the week. God Bless