Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Talk Tuesday-Knowing You Jesus; My Suffering Pt. III

I was released from the hospital five days after the first surgery. It was a challenging time for us as a family but beautiful in many ways. Ephesians 5:28-29 became alive to me as my husband cared selflessly for me:

"So husbands out to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does the church." Ephesians 5:28-29

My family and the body of Christ (the church) lavished us with prayer and care. It is in the valley of darkness that the light of Christ is ever so bright to dim eyes. His Light was radiant!

My first follow up appointment with the new surgeon was six weeks later. He informed me that they were not able to remove the majority of the tumour and that another surgery would be required. I didn't have to see him again until October, so in the meantime, I would pray for a miracle.

The miracle didn't come in the way I expected it. At our October meeting, the doctor candidly outlined the reasons for, and the urgency surrounding the second surgery. Then he told us there were multiple tumours. By this time, I had mentally vacated the premises, sitting there motionless and stunned. We eventually decided, with renewed vigour, that we would petition God with prayer and fasting.

God had other plans.

One day, I woke up to discover that I could not lift my left leg. It got better but would recur a few days later. Then by December, my leg function had deteriorated rapidly. My leg became like a dead appendage that had to be dragged behind me. I was hurt, embarrassed and confused. An emergency surgery was scheduled for Wednesday January 28th. What followed next, was the darkest valley of my life. I want to leave you with these few truths before next week:

Suffering is something that every human being will endure at some point in their lives. Job suffered in the flesh to teach us how to stand. Jesus suffered in the flesh to teach us how to overcome.

"In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

"The LORD is close to those who have a broken heart, and saves such as have a contrite spirit." Psalm 34:18

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me." Psalm 23:4

4 comments:

Me said...

TAshndrewthanks for sharing this and keeping this blog. today school was hard, i blew my top at the students. But the other thing is, I know it could be much worse. I guess I feel that perhaps I'm being a baby. Anyways, thanks.

Natasha said...

Hey Mercy,

You're not being a baby. Sometimes things overwhelm us, and when they do, we can run to our sanctuary and dwell in His presence. I prayed for you today, that the Lord would grant you peace.

Blessings Little sister,
Tash

Beloved said...

Thank you for sharing ... and it is good to be reminded of these truths.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. Today my friend and I read the scripture from Job 2:1-10. The highlight is that "God will Keep You" Count it all joy - James 1:2. Reading Pt. 111 of your story was a reminder yet again that suffering (no matter what form it takes) is to teach us to trust God through it, it is He who holds our hand. When we do come out through it He also uses us to help those going through it to keep trusting God and He will amaze us; that in due time He will lift us up. I was able to speak such words of encouragement to my friend today because I was able to witness God walking me through such a period. Your story is once again a reminder... Thank you!