Monday, June 7, 2010

Talk Tuesday-It's Just a White Lie??!!

This Tuesday we are featuring a new Guest Writer who goes by the name 'Anointed'. Hope you will be blessed!

Andrew & Natasha

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now a man named Ananias, together with his wife Sapphira, also sold a piece of property. With his wife’s full knowledge he kept back part of the money for himself, but brought the rest and put it at the apostles’ feet.

Then Peter said, “Ananias, how is it that Satan has so filled your heart that you have lied to the Holy Spirit and have kept for yourself some of the money you received for the land?” Didn’t it belong to you before it was sold? And after it was sold, wasn’t the money at your disposal? What made you think of doing such a thing? You have not lied to men but to God.”

About three hours later his wife came in, not knowing what had happened. Peter asked her, “Tell me, is this the price that Ananias got for the land?”
“Yes,” she said, “that is the price.”

Peter said to her, “How could you agree to test the Spirit of the Lord? Look! The feet of the men who buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out also.”
( Acts5:1-9)

This was the reading my husband and I discussed last night. However, today a relative called and asked what I was doing today and feeling stingy with my time I told a lie. As I got off the phone, the Holy Spirit immediately convicted me. My argument was this, “Yes, I lied but it was only a white lie.”

I confessed to my husband, “I just told a lie.” Instead of the great support and comfort I expected came more conviction. “Why the lie? That was so unnecessary.”

I repented before God and resolved to tell the relative the truth. “Phew! I felt so free!”

The reason I chose to share this on your Talk Tuesday is that as Christians, we often find ourselves using the ‘proverbial white lie’ to get out of ‘sticky’ situations.. We convince ourselves that it is not a big lie and no one will be hurt by it. A lie is a lie! When we lie to men, we lie to God and we test the Spirit of the Lord.


God bless,
Anointed



If you are not sure how to make a comment please see our YouTube video.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. How timely that this happened to you Anointed, i.e.. right after that devotional with your husband? It must be the Lord in this! Lying is clearly sin and scripture repeatedly states that. I think one thing to keep in mind in this passage is that the condemnation for the lying was that it was specifically done so 'against' God and not to man as you said at the end Anointed. Yes Peter did say "you have not lied against man but God", but the context is that it was an insult leveled directly against God as it had to do with holding back on giving to God. That sin always carries greater punishment than other sins. (A whole other study/discussion). It is also interesting though, in some situations i.e.. the lying of the midwives to Pharaoh's officials re the Hebrew male babies being born, David/Jonathan lying to escape unjust, evil attempts on his own life, seem to indicate shrewdness and craftiness/industriousness, versus being labeled 'lying'. In any event, telling the truth is the right thing to do and we need to do it! Thank you Anointed for your transparency and humility to share this with us and encouraging us to 'come up higher'! Glory to King Jesus!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. I've always felt uncomfortable telling lies and always therefore come across with just 'too much information'!!! But 'little white lies' interestingly enough have been very easy. Too easy! My fault? I really do like to exaggerate a little (or a lot!).

But yes, I am now convicted. Because yes, it is real sin. You can't negotiate with God and call it a small sin! Thank you Annointed for the reminder.

Beloved said...

This is a timely topic ... thakns Tash for your transparency.

Just on Sunday I was talking with a sister who was basically saying that sometimes one has to lie in recorded conversations to please clients on the phone ... for example if the system is down, some clients don't want to hear that ... they want to hear something more positive ... so in other words, some Christians feel there are times it is OK to lie.

I pray the the Spirit of God will convince and convict her that it is not OK to lie to clients, even if it is a so-called white lie. Any kind of sin that is justified usually doesn't stay static ... from my understanding, over time it manifests is bigger ways, and one may try to justify that eventually as well.

A quick look on the Internet led me to some serious reminders of the seriousness of lying. Satan is a liar and the "father of lies" ... let us now allow our mouths or even our actions to appear to make us seem as if we are one of his children or even one of his tools. Nothing that we say or do should resemble what he would do in the same situation! But if we should falter, quick repentance and if possible confession to the person would be the right thing to do ... we have a merciful High Priest in Jesus who will still be in our corner.

Beloved said...

Of course I meant, let us NOT allow our mouths or actions to cause us to resemble one of Satan's children! :)

Natasha said...

Hi Beloved,

I just wanted to clarify that the article was written by our guest writer Anointed. I, too, am thankful for the honesty and transparency reflected in this article. Thanks Anointed!