Monday, October 26, 2009

Talk Tuesday-Do You Ever Want To Run and Hide?

Have you ever wanted to escape reality? I used to tell a friend, "I'm going to run away." I have since repented of that as I've come to the realization that running away from something only means that you will run right into it again. Life is full of things, people and situations that can propel us into escape mode. Have you ever found that drowning out your sorrows in food doesn't really work? You can substitute food for t.v., shopping, entertainment or a host of other destructive 'sedatives'. I call them 'sedatives' because they only temporarily numb the pain of reality. What makes you want to run and hide? The unpredictability of life does it for me. This is where I have to constantly work on TRUSTING IN THE LORD.

The Psalmist says, "Whom have I in heaven but you?" Psalm 73:25

The awesome thing about the Lord, is HE IS our Abba Father, our Refuge and our Hope. He has offered us Salvation through His Son Jesus Christ, so that we never have to be alone.

"Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him."
Psalm 34:8

"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble." Psalm 46:1

"You are my hiding place; You will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance. " Psalm 32:7

A refuge is a place where you can RUN and HIDE, knowing that you will receive shelter and protection. GOD can be that for us, if we will CHOOSE to run to HIM. When we do, He protects us and delivers us.

He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust." Psalm 91:1-2

Is the Lord your refuge? How has knowing Him helped you with life's daily struggles? Have you experienced His shelter, refuge and deliverance before? How has this differed from using what I call a 'destructive sedative'? Please click on the comments link below to share your testimony or insight. What an encouragement it is to others. Stay tuned...next week we will be discussing the 'battlefield of the mind.'

2 comments:

Beloved said...

Wow, I can't wait for next week's topic. Today's is timely as well. Every now and then I have a battle to get out of bed to go to work ... I just don't want to go. The mountain of work, and the circumstances that are often at play behind the scenes, just seem to be too much. There was one morning when I was especially discouraged that I will always remember... I was dressed and about to leave, and a friend called me long distance from the States and started praying over me about work (out of the blue) right then and there. It was so encouraging! I was blessed to know that God thought of me and reached out through her, to let me know that it really wasn't so bad ... He is there for me. I have read and recently read again that when we feel this way, literally like not getting out of bed and just putting the covers on over our heads, is exactly when we should get on our knees and pray. God wants us to face our "mountains" with faith and trust in Him. I was encouraged when I was recently reminded that our circumstances are designed by God to drive us to Him ... He can solve all our our problems right away but wants us to learn to trust, trust, trust, and to draw near to Him. He wants to be an intimate part of all of our lives ... but we would forget Him if everything was always going well.

Thank You, Lord.

Keep trusting!

Cynth said...

Hi guys, It's me! Greetings and God's bountiful blessings to all my brothers and sisters in Christ.

Psalm 91 has a special place in my heart. As I recall God’s secret place to hide and pray it brings peace to an aching mind and heart. Lately a few of my colleagues at work seemed to be falling one by one dying. Thus far, we have lost 3, and a few days ago another died from a rare blood disease. These were my friends. When the second death occurred, I literally grew faint and felt like I was going to fall alongside with them. I suddenly felt an overwhelming sense of despair and became afraid. As God would have it, I was returning mournfully home from a funeral when I received the news via cell phone of another death. I remember it so clearly. I began to cry uncontrollably and unashamed right there on the train with people looking at me from every directions. I suddenly grew conscious and embarrassed and picked up a newspaper someone left beside me and began to pretend to read to cover my outburst. As I was about to put the paper down, a piece of paper fell out of it, It read: “Because thou hast made the Lord, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation; there shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling. The effect upon my heart was immediate. Faith appropriated the passage as my very own. I felt secure, and refreshed. I felt the presence of God Almighty and I immediately knew that no evil shall come near me. I was trying to run and hide from something that was beyond my control.

Today as I read your article I thought of a song my grandmother used to sing to me as a child. Apparently she did not know the lyrics very well so she used to hum it slowly. It goes like this: Abba Father, let me be, Yours and Yours alone. May my will forever be, Ever more Your own. Never let my heart grow cold, Never let me go. Abba Father, let me be Yours and Yours alone. I heard it sang at a visiting church and thereafter it became my song.

And another song and this time from a sexually abuse 16 year old girl: Hide God's Word in Your Heart, 1st and 3rd verses Hide God’s Word in your heart, Its precious truth believe; At His command take from His hand, The Bread of Life receive. Hide God’s Word in your heart, Hide God’s Word in your heart— His Word of love sent from above, Hide God’s Word in your heart. Hide God’s Word in your heart, and seek the Spirit’s power. To understand each blest command He gives from hour to hour. Hide God’s Word in your heart, Hide God’s Word in your heart— His Word of love sent from above, Hide God’s Word in your heart.

Have you ever heard the voice of God speak in your spirit about a certain problem and you completely ignored it? I have and it cost me big time.