Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Talk Tuesday-Walk By Faith Not By Sight

This really moved me during my devotional time. I felt led to share it with you. It is long, please bear with me. I'll just start with a bit of Old Testament history. Please share your thoughts.

Judah was taken under siege by Babylon during the reign of Jehoiachin (Jeconiah), King of Judah. Jehoiachin and the people of Judah were deported to Bablyon (Jeremiah 29:2). A remnant was left in Judah under the reign of King Zedekiah, who was appointed by the Babylonian King Nebuchadnezzar. The Prophet Jeremiah had fortold of the Babylonian invasion and the 70 year occupation decreed by the Lord. The Lord instructed them to submit to the Babylonians, as this was the Lord's punishment for their spiritual unfaithfulness. False prophets arose promising victory over Babylon with 2 years (Jeremiah 28). The Prophet Jeremiah was persecuted by his own people for speaking the word of the Lord.

Jerusalem falls, King Zedekiah is captured and more people are deported to Babylon (2 Kings 25, Jeremiah 52). King Nebuchadnezzar appoints Gedeliah to be Governor over the remnant in Judah. The Jewish people are comforted as one of their own is in a place of leadership. Those dispersed among foreign countries return to Judah. Gedeliah the Governor is assisinated (Jeremiah 41). The Jewish people are eventually rescued by Johanan son of Kareah. They are heading to Egypt as a place of refuge from the Babylonians.

They are weary, tired, hurt, confused, hungry, desiring shelter and protection. They have purposed in their hearts to return to Egypt as they seek refuge from Babylonia. The people remember the Lord their God and seek Jeremiah the Prophet for a word from the Lord. Aware of their past disobedience, they say to Jeremiah (Jeremiah 42:5-6),

"May the LORD be a true and faithful witness against us if we do not act in accordance with everything the LORD your God sends you to tell us. Whether it is favorable or unfavorable, we will obey the LORD our God, to whom we are sending you, so that it will go well with us, for we will obey the LORD our God."

The people of Judah understand the concept of obedience and blessing. In their darkest moment they seek the Lord and promise obedience. In Jeremiah 42:7-18 the Lord answers. He instructs the people to remain in Judah where it will go well with them. However, if they insist on going to Egypt, they will perish by the sword, famine and plague. Jeremiah was accused of lying (Jeremiah 43:1-3) and the people proceeded to Egypt.

Have you ever wondered why a people who constantly witnessed the glory of the Lord would turn away in disobedience so frequently? I only need to look at myself for that answer. How many times have I walked by sight and not by faith? The people of Judah were instructed by the Lord, yet they chose to trust in what they saw instead of in the unseen God who revealed His might to them throughout their generations. Hebrews 11 states that

vs 6 'And without faith it is impossible to please God'

vs 1 'Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.'

I want to urge you to TRUST HIM today. I felt led to share this as the Lord has been stretching my faith and patiently teaching me to walk by FAITH and not by SIGHT. Whatever you are facing today, let me exhort you to TRUST and OBEY. The God who you do not see will work out the situation that you do see, whatever it is. Seek Him, listen to Him, praise Him and obey Him. He will bless you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this!

Natasha said...

I'm glad it blessed you. I felt led by the Lord to share this, although I had already done the Talk Tuesday section for the day. May the Lord continue to draw you nearer to Him with each new day.

Dawn said...

Dear Natasha:
If you believe that there are no such things as coincidences like I do,I trust that you will appreciate what I am about to share with you on this. I'm afraid that I will have to just re-write the original that is found in "The Word For You Today", because I can't find a way to condense it. I made a note of it because I thought that it would be a great teaching to share with everyone some time. Tonight is Thursday, and I was going to confess that I'm not 100% sure of what to post as a testimony and what is more of a "Talk Tuesday" item. This "Talk Tuesday" topic came up and brought this piece to mind that I read on Saturday August 30, and I will shorten it a little, but still keep the original wording. I hope that I haven't broken any rules in so doing!:

Feelings Can Be Misleading

....Paul says,"We walk by faith and not by sight (2co.5:7), because (and this may come as a surprise) you won't always feel God's presence.After the crucifixion two disciples were walking along the Emmaus Road when Jesus came up and walked along with them. But they didn't recognize who He was, they didn't know the leader they had followed for three years, because "he appeared... in a different form"(Mk 16:12 TM) God is a God of faith, and he works in ways that faith, not feelings, can discern"
I apologize if I've shared this at the wrong time and if it is a bit long, but hopefully it will be interesting in some way, shape or form to somebody!
Have a blessed week,
Dawn
P.S. Words cannot describe how grateful I am for this forum Natasha and Andrew, and it's probably a good thing because otherwise you might have to take a day to read this posting!

Natasha said...

Dawn, thank you so much for sharing. This devotional that you typed is so fitting, such a great reminder to us to continue trusting God no matter how we feel. Anytime you share it is always the right time! Thank you for always blessing the BGO (Biblegrouponline) community!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Natasha and Dawn. This was a reminder for me of something God had already told me earlier about a situtation I am facing. God is so faithful and consistent. Blessings.