Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Talk Tuesday-A Lesson From Psalm 107

Have you ever gone through a period of discouragement where you felt like your prayers were hitting the ceiling and coming back down? Discouragement is such a deflating emotion. It makes our hearts question God's love, His purpose for our lives, His willingness to help us and it shakes our faith. Ever wonder why in a season of discouragement it feels so hard to pray and connect with God? When emotional weariness and spiritual fatigue set in, the best thing to do is to meditate on God's faithfulness-to remind ourselves of all that He has done for us in the past, and to give thanks.

Psalm 107 boldly begins with the exhortation, “Oh, give thanks to the Lord, for He is good! For His mercy endures forever. Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom He redeemed from the hand of the enemy,” Ps. 107:1-2. Remember where you were before you came to Christ. I was lost, confused and without purpose. When I accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour, He filled me with passion, joy, peace, love and pointed my compass heavenward. This weekend, as I meditated on Psalm 107, this line demolished the wall of hardness that was developing in my own heart, “Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble, and He delivered them out of their distresses,” (Ps. 107 verses 6, 13, 19, 28). Those who wandered in the wilderness, those who sat in darkness and in the shadow of death, fools in their transgressions and merchants in their ships all cried out to the Lord in their distress, and in His mercy, He answered their call.

I pondered this greatly. Then I felt the Holy Spirit gently remind me to cry out to the Lord in my distress because He WILL answer. His Word says so. I went home, picked up my guitar and began to sing His praises. I started to recall all that He had done for me in the past and thank Him for it. Suddenly my strength was renewed like the eagle's. Brothers and Sisters in Christ, if today you find yourselves in a dry and weary land, think back on the goodness of the Lord and praise His Holy Name. Let faith rise up! It is good to give thanks for we are the redeemed of the Lord and God will NOT fail you.

2 comments:

Farah said...

Amen! I really needed to hear that. God bless YOU!

Anonymous said...

I believe this with all my heart;'When emotional weariness and spiritual fatigue set in, the best thing to do is to meditate on God's faithfulness-to remind ourselves of all that He has done for us in the past, and to give thanks.'