Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Talk Tuesday-The Heart of the Matter

I remember starting a new job many, many years ago. There was an individual with whom I worked who seemed very bitter. I did not understand why. I was often the direct recipient of that person's frustrations. I would try to extend kindness only to be attacked for what seemed like no reason. I began to feel angry and fed up too!

I attended a praise and worship event at church one evening. As I was praising, I sat back down in the pew and felt the Holy Spirit prompt me to pray for them. I remember thinking, 'Seriously?!' Anyway, I decided to obey. This began a habit of interceding on their behalf. Slowly, I began to see changes in that person's attitude and disposition. Not only did they change towards me, but towards others as well. They also seemed much happier. Then it occurred to me, GOD knows the heart. He knows our thoughts, sees our hearts, knows our pain and our weaknesses. He sees what is hidden.

The Prophet Samuel was sent to the house of Jesse to anoint another to be king over Israel. Samuel saw seven of Jesse's sons and when he saw Eliab he thought surely this was God's chosen.

But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7

It was at this moment that David, Jesse's youngest son came in from tending the sheep. The LORD spoke to the Prophet Samuel, instructing Him to anoint David as King, for he was the one. Despite King David's failings, he was a man after GOD's heart. GOD knew that.

I learned a lesson here. It is not my place to judge others for I only see what I can see. Why is it that we are encouraged not to judge others nor harbour unforgiveness in our hearts? Why and how do you think we are instructed to love? Click on the 'comments' link below to share your insights with us here at BGO. We look forward to hearing from you!

Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. 1 Peter 4:8

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder to pray for people. I know that sounds so simplistic but seriously, thanks BGO. For some reason a buzz sentence went thru my mind this morning, and it too is simplistic: 'Prayer works'.. meaning.. prayer has an effect and when you have prayed by faith, your prayer has gone off and is busy 'working' doing something, somehow, somewhere. I'm convinced of that. This post today immediately brought the face of a man to mind that I saw yesterday at work. Long story but the bottom line is it would be very easy for me to have no love in my heart for this man -- so I need to pray for him!! Thanks. Pray! because... 'Prayer works!!

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing!!

keep up the good work...

Dawn said...

This post reminde me of some notes that I'd jotted down to help me with my stuggles with anger and the resulting bitterness. I'll share them with you now, in the hopes that it may help other "B.G.Oers" as well.I was listening recently to a recording of a sermon that I'd found very meaningful.It was called "How To Have Patience With People" In it, the pastor told us that the Greek definition of patience was LONG SUFFERING.,and outlined 5 steps we needed to take to exercise patience:

1) Bless them. (Pray for them)
2) Forgive them.
3) Do not avoid them.
4) Will their good.
5) Oppose them HUMBLY.

He told us that FORGIVENESS IS PRACTICED BEFORE IT IS FELT! He also suggested that we confront them honestly, which goes with step 5 above, I believe.

More little notes about anger that I thought helpful came from the "Our Daily Bread" devotional that I use:

"Spirit of God, please change my heart,
And give me a new desire,
I want to be a man of peace,
Not controlled by anger's fire"
-K. DeHaan

These notes confirm for me that as vital as it is to pray for the person that we are struggling to come to an understanding with, we also need God's help to overcome our possible anger that can so easily lead to bitterness.

"He who conquers his anger, conquers a strong enemy." -Our Daily Bread, September 13, 2010