Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Talk Tuesday-The Power of Praise

I woke up on Monday with a terrible feeling of sadness. Sorrow's blanket had cloaked the sun from my heart and it's heaviness weighed me down. I sat up, picked up my journal and began to pour out my heart to the One who hears, sees, and knows all things-to the One whose mercy and love covers all my sin, burdens and pain. It is fitting to seek solace in the arms of the One who created us, for God our Father loves us beyond measure-Christ's nail pierced hands bear witness to this.

The Psalms reflect the many emotions of King David and the people of Israel, as they experienced trials throughout the journey of life. Yet even when they reflect despair they inevitably end by echoing songs of praise. By the second page of my letter to the Lord, I paused and thought, 'I have many things to give thanks for. Why don't I write them all out?' I immediately switched gears and began each new sentence with, 'Thank you for...'. I became lost in the task at hand, expressing thanks to my Father for each little and big blessing in my life. I had just finished writing two and half pages of thanksgiving when I suddenly realized that I felt better. The heaviness simply left! I was stunned, and frankly unable to remember the exact moment the sun pierced through the darkness of my heart.

The Psalmist writes, "Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Saviour and my God,' Psalm 43:5.

Yesterday I was reminded of the Power of Praise. GOD is enthroned in the praises of His people (Psalm 22:3). "It is good to give thanks to the LORD, and to sing praises to Your name, O Most High; to declare Your lovingkindness in the morning, and Your faithfulness every night," Psalm 92:1-2.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...


When I find myself spiralling into the depths of despair because of the painful blows life deals, the Holy Spirit comes quickly to my rescue and reminds me that I am to keep my eyes on God's promises, and it is then I renew my committment to 'walk by faith and not by sight.' It is during these times I echo these beautiful Watchwords: "Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Saviour and my God,' Psalm 43:5.

Anonymous said...

Timely Word. We live in difficult times but the Spirit of the Lord never leaves us. God is so faithful. Thanks for the timely post.