Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Talk Tuesday-What Do You Have To Offer?

One day Peter and John were going up to the temple at the time of prayer—at three in the afternoon. Now a man who was lame from birth was being carried to the temple gate called Beautiful, where he was put every day to beg from those going into the temple courts. When he saw Peter and John about to enter, he asked them for money. Peter looked straight at him, as did John. Then Peter said, “Look at us!” So the man gave them his attention, expecting to get something from them. 

Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.” Taking him by the right hand, he helped him up, and instantly the man’s feet and ankles became strong. He jumped to his feet and began to walk. Then he went with them into the temple courts, walking and jumping, and praising God. When all the people saw him walking and praising God, they recognized him as the same man who used to sit begging at the temple gate called Beautiful, and they were filled with wonder and amazement at what had happened to him. Acts 3:1-9 

In 2008 and 2009 I journeyed through the life changing experience of going from an extremely active person to one who was 'shut in'. As many of you know, I had two spinal surgeries to remove a tumour that begin to impinge upon my ability to walk, and could have potentially left me with a permanent disability. It was during this time of convalescing that I despondently began to wonder, 'What do I have to offer?'

Each morning I would wake up to the sound of my parents singing praises to God and offering up intercessory prayers-for the young, old, single, married, sick, and well. The Holy Spirit began to use their example to engage me in the ministry of intercessory prayer. I, who had always been too lazy, undisciplined or self-absorbed, to devote the time needed for such prayer. However, as I had suffered, it made me more sensitive to the suffering of others. As many prayed for me, it made me want to pray for others. God began to create in me the heart of an intercessor, by showing me how the intercessory prayers of others were so effective...and necessary. He slowly began to help me build a list, and gently trained me in the discipline I so lacked, enabling me to be diligent in my new calling. I confess that at times I would become frustrated, wondering if my prayers were having any impact at all, or why my list was so long!

Fast forward to 2012. I have seen many prayers answered-prayers for people whom I only casually knew, those who didn't really know me, those who never knew I was praying for them, those whom I would never personally know, and those whom I did know. I give God praise and thanks for He is the Potter- He forms the clay, and has a purpose for each one of us, regardless of our circumstances.

"For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Ephesians 2:10 

So, if you ever wonder, 'What do I have to offer?', find yourself rooted in Christ, and like the branch that abides in the True Vine (John 15), you will bear much fruit, to the benefit and salvation of others. Peter confessed his lack of material wealth to the lame beggar at the temple gate, but He had the priceless gift and power of knowing Christ, which he freely shared. What about you?

1 comment:

Beloved said...

Amen, thank you for praying faithfully!