Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Talk Tuesday-I Am Not Ashamed of the Gospel

The Apostle Paul says, "I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile" Romans 1:16.

Jesus commands us to go and be bearers of the Good News throughout all the earth.

"Behold, I say to you, lift up your eyes and look at the fields, for they are already white for harvest!" John 4:35 

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Matthew 28:19-20 

We live in an age where it is becoming increasingly unpopular to share the gospel message, unless it is tailored to fit the permissiveness of our ever evolving postmodern society. It has become unpopular to talk about sin-sexual sin, homosexual sin, heterosexual sin, adultery and the like. Jesus came to set the captive free from sin, and to restore us to right relationship with God the Father. To the woman caught in adultery Jesus says, "...neither do I condemn you...Go now and leave your life of sin," John 8:11. Judgment is tempered with mercy, yet its foundation is righteousness and truth.

"Righteousness and justice are the foundation of Your throne; mercy and truth go before Your face." Psalm 89:14

When I became a Christian, Jesus put a burning desire in my heart to share His gospel message with all who I encounter-young, old, rich or poor. My motive is, and always has been LOVE. Many times I have been ridiculed, ostracized, rejected and hated. I have cried many tears, felt great loneliness and fought the desire to leave people as they are. Then I remember my own state before Christ and what He did on the cross for me. I think of all those He sent in my life to sow the seeds of the gospel, water and eventually reap its harvest. So I encourage you today, as I encourage myself, to press on in faithfulness, unashamedly sharing the gospel's call to salvation. And remember, if we don't speak, they will not hear! 

"When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. Then he said to his disciples, 'The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore to send out workers into his harvest field.'"Matthew 9:36-38

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I became a Christian, I lost all my friends. As I began to share the gospel with people, I gained many new, lifelong friends, as well as people who avoid me like the plague :-) It's hard sometimes but my life belongs to Christ now...

Anonymous said...

Just tonight I was thinking how my husband and I had so many friends before we made an all-out commitment to serve the Lord and of course we shared the GOOD NEWS with them all. They have all beaten a hasty retreat but like Anonymous No.1, God has blessed us with many new friends in Christ. Yet still we press on to evangelize and though blows often come our way, we rejoice in the successes as we see those destined for salvation surrender their lives to Jesus Christ.
I AM NOT ASHAMED OF THE GOSPEL.

Anonymous said...

When I first became a Christian, I told everyone about Jesus, and what He'd done for me. I guess it came off as 'preaching', and I ended up alienating a lot of people (my closest friends at the time are now long gone sadly), and some in my own family just roll their eyes now if I credit God with ANYTHING in a conversation.

I wasn't trying to 'convert' them (outright),- but wasn't I really? People get defensive when you talk to them about Jesus. It's funny. If you say 'God' sometimes it's more acceptable. But you say 'Jesus' and you get people's backs up.

Unfortunately, I just don't share the Gospel at all now. I just try to live my life shining for Him. (and I do still work His Name into conversations, but in a more subtle 'aren't we so blessed sort of way'...

Am I 'ashamed' of the Gospel as you say? No. But I do have to say, I'm even cautious about what I post on facebook. Everyone knows now I'm a bible thumper ;) but I don't actually want to thump them :)

Having said that, I do agree that we should be trying to advance the kingdom...souls are at risk! But my contribution is prayer & intercession. (if only they knew!)

Like Anonymous 1&2, I have new friends - replacing those that don't edify - that I know will be my friends for life, and for that I'm grateful to Him for my new life in Jesus.

Special said...

When we come to Christ, we are often so excited. We are like one beggar telling another beggar where to find bread!

Natasha said...

I guess I am interested in how sharing the Gospel and standing up for what the Bible teaches has, and is becoming even tougher for Christians. There are many articles on the news media outlets about those who suffer for endorsing same-sex marriage, and nothing about those who oppose it, what they suffer, and why they oppose it.

Sin brings judgment and death. O God, help us to be true and faithful until you return, O LORD JESUS!