Monday, August 15, 2011

Talk Tuesday-In The Shadow of Death

"It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of everyone; the living should take this to heart," Ecclesiastes 7:2.

We recently attended a funeral where we heard the following sermon preached, "Each day you are living brings you closer to death. Live your life for Christ so that when you die in Him, you will live with Him forever." These were very sobering, powerful words. I began to ponder the meaning of this, reflecting on my own life. The temptation to live for 'self' is always there, beckoning, enticing and attempting to waylay our desire to live for Christ. Jesus tells us that He has come to give us life, "I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly," John 10:10.

Then He teaches us about what is required:

"Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will save it. What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit their very self?" Luke 9:23-25 

I am reminded to take stock of my life, to persevere, to ask for help when I fall and receive the hand of mercy and grace God so readily extends in the brokenness of my spirit. Even when times seem hard, He is always near. His love is so deep, His faithfulness so limitless, His grace so wide and His mercy so great that He stands always ready to lift us up, bind us up, heal us and send us forth to be His hands of love upon this earth. So, instead of looking to ourselves, let us look to Him expectantly. Continue to walk in love and obedience, pursuing the higher call of Christ. Let us walk with Him, even in the shadow of death.

"Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who set Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life," John 5:24

"Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come...So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect Him." Matthew 24: 42 & 44


2 comments:

Beloved said...

Amen ... may the Lord open our eyes up more and more to see and experience His goodness... that we may desire Him and His will above and beyond every other thing ... to lay down our lives for Him as He as asked.

Anonymous said...

This is such a sobering topic pregnant with life and truth. It causes us to be ever covnizant of the reality that we are pilgrims on this earth - journeying through the roadways of life. It is so spiritually vital that we take stock of our walk ensuring that it is one with Jesus as our Helmsman. Any other route has damaging dividends for body, mind and spirit. Yes, all other ground is sinking sand. As I journey, may I say and pray, "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."

Thanks for the post and God bless and keep you and Andrew