Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Talk Tuesday - What is Love?

What is Love? Lately, whenever I get into an argument with my wife I pull out my Bible and read 1 Corinthians 13:4-8. I don't know about you but when I get mad I don't really feel the love. I know I love my wife but in the heat of the moment all I want to do is fight. One day after we had an argument, the Lord led me to this passage of scripture. We are all familiar with these verses from all the weddings we have attended but do we really understand the truth of these Words. The passage goes....

4 Love is patient, love is kind.

Are you patient with your spouse? Do you use kind words when you speak to him/her?

It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.

Do you think you are right? Do you beat your chest?

5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

When I first got married, we would get into arguments and I would always tell my wife that we were on the same TEAM. Don't dishonor your wife in your anger. Seek her best not yours. Don't bring up things from the past.

6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.

Do not delight in the fight. Some people just like to fight. Don't be one of them. Rejoice with the truth.

7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Read verse 7 again....'It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres'...and most of all...

8 Love never fails.

I guarantee if you are in an argument and you take sometime off to read this piece of scripture over and over again, God will soften your heart so you can go back to your spouse and work things out.


Love never fails.


God Bless
Andrew


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is an alarming rate of divorce among Christians - especially the young. Your definition of love as outlined in 1Corinthians 13:4-8 is an apt message for the husbands and wives today.
Love leaves no room for selfishness but demands utter unselfishness and comitment to the ideals espoused in God's Word. Thanks for the post; it calls for much introspection.

Beloved said...

Thanks for sharing ... it encourages me in my desire to have a better relationship with my colleagues. I want to always think the best and always persevere in loving them, no matter what ... I can't control their response, but I can control mine.

Thanks again!