Thursday, August 13, 2009

Bible Study Weekend - John 1:19-34



John 1:19-34

John the Baptist Denies Being the Christ
19Now this was John's testimony when the Jews of Jerusalem sent priests and Levites to ask him who he was. 20He did not fail to confess, but confessed freely, "I am not the Christ."

21They asked him, "Then who are you? Are you Elijah?"
He said, "I am not."
"Are you the Prophet?"
He answered, "No."

22Finally they said, "Who are you? Give us an answer to take back to those who sent us. What do you say about yourself?"

23John replied in the words of Isaiah the prophet, "I am the voice of one calling in the desert, 'Make straight the way for the Lord.' "

24Now some Pharisees who had been sent 25questioned him, "Why then do you baptize if you are not the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet?"

26"I baptize with water," John replied, "but among you stands one you do not know. 27He is the one who comes after me, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie."

28This all happened at Bethany on the other side of the Jordan, where John was baptizing.

Jesus the Lamb of God
29The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! 30This is the one I meant when I said, 'A man who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.' 31I myself did not know him, but the reason I came baptizing with water was that he might be revealed to Israel."

32Then John gave this testimony: "I saw the Spirit come down from heaven as a dove and remain on him. 33I would not have known him, except that the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, 'The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is he who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.' 34I have seen and I testify that this is the Son of God."


Questions:

1. What was John the Baptist's testimony?

2. Why was John baptizing people?

3. What is the significance of Jesus being the Lamb of God?

If you have any other insight into this passage feel free to share it with us.

4 comments:

Once was lost said...

1. John the Baptist quotes from Isaiah 40:3,

A voice of one calling:
"In the desert prepare
the way for the LORD;
make straight in the wilderness
a highway for our God.

John was there to prepare a way for the Messiah, Jesus Christ.

2. John's baptism was one of repentance, preparing people to meet Jesus.

3. Jesus was the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world.

Natasha said...

1. John the Baptist's testimony sets or prepares the way for establishing who Jesus is. In John the Baptist's testimony he states that he is not the Christ (vs.20), Elijah (vs.21) nor the Prophet (vs.21). He clears all doubt of who he isn't before stating who he is and what his purpose is. He quotes from Old Testament messianic scripture stating in Isaiah 40:3:

-He is the one preparing the way for the Lord. He makes reference to the desert and the wilderness in which the path will be prepared to receive our Lord. The desert and the wilderness alludes to the spiritual darkness of our hearts, calling out our hearts to be prepared for the redemption and holiness of Christ

John's testimony is of the coming Messiah, who He later identifies as Jesus (vs.35)

2. Early practices in Judaism including ceremonial cleansing/washing known as purification. This is perhaps symbolic in nature and speaks to the testimony of preparing the way in the desert for the Lord and making straight a highway in the wilderness for God. John's baptism symbolizes spiritual purification, which is repentance. It also prepares the way for Jesus' baptism which include the baptism of the Holy Spirit (vs.33)

3. The significance of Jesus being the Lamb of God sets the tone for His sacrifice, purpose and who He is . The bible states that '..the wages of sin is death', Romans 6:23. In the Old Testament when God sends the final plague to Pharaoh, it is a plague of death. In order for the angel of death to passover the house, the blood of the Lamb had to be put upon the doorways (ref. Exodus 12).

The theme of sacrifice for the atonement of sin is rich in Old Testament theology (i.e. ref. Leviticus 16, the Day of Atonement). Here in Leviticus 16 there is much blood sacrifice for the ritual purification of the priest, then one for the atonement of the people. Jesus is significant as the Lamb of God because He is going to make the ultimate, final sacrifice for all humanity, to take away the sins not only of the Jewish community but of the world. We are all sinners.

Beloved said...

I don't have specific answers to this Bible study, but I wanted to share that when I recently read this passage, it felt like a call from the Lord to re-evaluate all the activities and distractions in my life, and make room (a straight highway) for God to work in my life in a mighty way again.

For us who are saved, our hearts and lives are prone to get darkened or cluttered in unattended areas over time. So when we read this passage, let's take time to reflect ... is the way clear for God to work in my life? Does He still have the highest priority in my time, money and resources? Am I spending enough time in His Word, for the sake of hearing from Him? Am I listening enough?

If Jesus were my real life spouse, would the relationship be described as intimate, healthy, interactive and vibrant in terms of how much time I spend with Him, how much of a priority He is? Would I desire a marriage in real life that reflects my current relationship with God?

Although we are sinners, let us make every effort to keep sin from creeping back inch by inch into our lives, as it can easily reach the point of domination before we realize it. If there are areas that have become somewhat of a wilderness, let's ask God to make it straight again.

Once was lost said...

Our relationship with God should be like a good marriage. If we really love our wife we should spend time with her, find out what she likes and dislikes, take her on dates and work on the marraige. This is the same with God. He wants a relationship with you. To know Him we should read his Word everyday, spend time in His presence and worship Him. So often we get so busy with life we don't get to spend time with Him. I am guilty of that. When this happens we just need to get back with Him. There is no one that would love you more than Jesus. So seek Him while He can be found.